On Thursday, March 12, 2009, from 3:00-8:00 pm, the Library will be hosting a free tax filing event for qualified filers. Computers will be available and volunteers will be on hand to assist filers in using free software to complete and file their Federal and California tax returns. Spanish translation will be available. Read below or call toll-free 866-577-1231 for more information or to make an appointment.
In order to participate, you must meet these criteria for tax year 2008:
- Earned $30,000 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or less in 2008; OR
- Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); OR
- Served Active Military Duty – includes Reservists and National Guard – with a 2008 W-2 and an AGI of $56,000 or less.
You will need to bring:
- Copy of 2007 tax return, if available
- Picture I.D. for taxpayer and spouse (if applicable)
- Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for EACH family member
- Proof of income including W-2s and 1099 forms
- Economic Stimulus Package (ESP) Rebate Form 1378
- Documentation of deductible expenses
- Account and routing numbers of checking and savings accounts for direct deposit
It is recommended that participants reserve a time by calling toll-free 866-577-1231. If you are unsure whether or not you qualify, you can get more information by calling the same number.
Great thanks to the Intuit Tax Freedom Project and the Computer & Communications Industry Association for sponsoring this event.